“When combined with standard treatment, Tai Chi appears to be helpful for several medical conditions. For example, Arthritis, Diabetes, Low bone density, breast cancer, Heart disease, Heart failure, Hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, Sleep problems, Stroke.” by Harvard medical School Publications
Dr Paul Lam has worked with Tai Chi experts and medical specialists to create the Tai Chi for Health Programs. They are easy and enjoyable to learn, and supported by many scientific studies proving their effectiveness and safety. Chunmei is a qualified instructor for Tai Chi for Arthritis and Tai Chi for Diabetes.
How Tai Chi Helps Arthritis
As an effective program for people with arthritis, Tai Chi for Arthritis incorporates exercises that improve muscular strength, flexibility and fitness.
- Muscle strength is important for supporting and protecting joints. It is essential for normal physical function.
- Flexibility exercises enable people to move more easily. Flexibility also facilitates the circulation of body fluid and blood, which enhances healing. Many arthritic conditions such as fibromyalgia, scleroderma and spondylitis are characterized by joint stiffness and impaired physical function. Tai Chi gently frees up stiff joints and muscles.
- Fitness is important for overall health and proper functioning of the heart, lungs and muscles. Tai Chi for Arthritis can improve all of these components.
The Tai Chi for Arthritis program also focuses on weight transference, which improves balance and prevents falls. Additionally, Tai Chi practice helps to relieve pain and reduce stress. This is accomplished in various ways.
- Increasing muscular strength helps to protect the joints, thereby reducing pain.
- Improved flexibility allows for better blood and joint fluid circulation, which also leads to less pain.
- Tai Chi is a mind body exercise, which improves the serenity and relaxation of the mind and thus reduces pain and stress. As a result, those who practice Tai Chi often experience less depression and enhanced immunity.
How Does It Work For Diabetes?
Exercise can help people with diabetes by improving the control of blood glucose level, as well as minimizing the complications of diabetes. Gentle exercises have been shown by several large studies to prevent Diabetes. Tai Chi is a gentle exercise with strong emphasis on mental relaxation; it will help to prevent diabetes, improve cellular uptake and glucose metabolism.
There are two other attributes of Tai Chi that are especially helpful to people with diabetes. Stress is shown to make the control of diabetes worse and relaxation is especially beneficial. It is well established that Tai Chi reduces stress and improves relaxation. Most people have problems adhering to an exercise program. Tai Chi is shown to have higher rates of compliance; people tend to continue doing it for years.
The major problems of diabetes are complications such as hypertension, heart disease, visual impairment and vascular problems. Studies have shown that Tai Chi improves cardio respiratory function, hypertension, muscular strength, flexibility and cholesterol levels; these in turn minimize complications of diabetes. Diabetes causes peripheral neuropathy, a condition in which the nerves of the feet are damaged thus affecting walking. Tai Chi has been proven to be effective in improving balance and mobility.
A special Designed Program – Tai Chi for Diabetes
Tai Chi for Diabetes is simple, easy-to-learn and effective program. Dr Paul Lam worked with a group of Tai Chi and medical experts to compose this 19-movement program based on both Yang and Sun styles.
“Have been doing TaiChi with Chunmei for almost year and loving the classes. Besides being such a good teacher Chunmei is a lovely person and creates an environment where we all have a great time so there is fantastic camaraderie amongst all the people in the class. There is no pressure on students to be super fit or sporty – the classes are designed for normal people with a focus on individual improvement and everyone genuinely supports each other. Could not recommend TaiChi with Chunmei more highly, great for your health and a genuine pleasure to attend.” Greg H. 19/08/2016 via True Local